CONFIRM MY HEART'S DESIRE

Welcome! You'll find here occasional writings, a few rants, and hopefully some insights too, about Christian discipleship, the Episcopal Church, and on faith community's life (at least from my viewpoint) at the Parish of the Epiphany in Winchester, Massachusetts, where I am blessed to serve as the rector. At the Epiphany we understand ourselves to be "a welcoming Episcopal community, united in God, called to seek and serve Christ in all persons, and to transform the world with love and generosity."
Why this title, "confirm my heart's desire"?
The title comes from a line in Charles Wesley's hymn, O Thou Who Camest from Above. You can read the text and listen to a schmaltzy-sounding version of the tune here. The hymn is not widely known, except in England, but with persistence on my part, and with the persuasion of other musicians, priests, and hymn-nerds, it's gaining, slowly, additional admirers.




22 January 2015

Holy Land Pilgrimage 2015 from Solomon & Suzanne Owayda, the Epiphany in Winchester

This post is from Wednesday 21 January 2015, and was posted on Thursday, 22 January.

When you get a group of 38 people on a pilgrimage for the first time, the chances  are very high that there is someone who is always late, or obnoxious, or just a pain in the behind.  As our time together winds down it is clear that we have beaten the odds and are fortunate that this group has been such a pleasure to travel with.

We are also fortunate to be writing this blog towards the end of the pilgrimage. It has been a lovely 11 day journey, and we are enjoying every bit of it. But it took us several days to get to know and understand this place. The first few days, we were like kids in a candy store, trying to take it all in as quickly as possible. Now towards the end of our journey, we are taking it in slowly, trying to dwell and take in every single detail and try to understand this place that is cherished by the three Abrahamic faiths.

 Even though our days start very early it is wonderful to be at these extraordinary sites just with our group and not with other pilgrims or tourists; it is a little quieter and provides opportunities for the Holy Spirit to reach us. I (Suzanne) looked forward to being a pilgrim to learn about the history, geography, archeology, and art of The Holy Land in the hopes of feeling and experiencing the Holy Spirit. Quite frankly, the times in which I have felt the presence of the Holy Spirit have been few and far between; but today while waiting for The Church of All Nations to open I started walking around the Garden of Gethsemane. I probably walked around it four times and as I was walking I felt a sense of peace and a presence.  It was the same feeling I had during our Eucharist on the hill over looking the Sea of Galilee, just a sense of quiet presence and peace.  The reading and beautiful impromptu singing by Mary Ann Haagen while in the "cellar" where Jesus was imprisoned (at the Church of St Peter of Gallicantu) was for me a very touching moment. I hope that every pilgrim in our group leaves this place with a few moments of peaceful presence.

People come to this place for various reasons, and the expectations are different. It might be on someone's " bucket list", and it is a matter of checking the box. To others, it is a spiritual trip, and perhaps  to others just a vacation. Some come here to get close to God, while others to get closer.  When I (Solomon) started my pilgrimage, I did not know what to expect. Maybe some sort of  an epiphany, or some sort of a " holy revelation", or an answer to many questions. None of the above happened.

 And then, something happened.

It happened every time I spoke to the people, the living stones. It happened when I spoke to children who were trying to sell us "something" or just trying to talk to someone who will listen. It happened when I spoke to the shopkeepers who in addition to selling wanted to describe what truly is happening here. It happened when I met my cousins who did not leave--while others left--but who stayed in Palestine. It happened when I went to the house where my mother grew up, and could hear her and her 8 siblings playing in the courtyard. It happened when I spoke to locals priests, workers,and just "ordinary" people. It happened again and again. I am not sure how to describe it, but I know something happened. I do hope something happens to everyone of the pilgrims.


We also hope and pray that something happens in this land so that suffering ends and peace prevails.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed!