CONFIRM MY HEART'S DESIRE

Welcome! You'll find here occasional writings, a few rants, and hopefully some insights too, about Christian discipleship, the Episcopal Church, and on faith community's life (at least from my viewpoint) at the Parish of the Epiphany in Winchester, Massachusetts, where I am blessed to serve as the rector. At the Epiphany we understand ourselves to be "a welcoming Episcopal community, united in God, called to seek and serve Christ in all persons, and to transform the world with love and generosity."
Why this title, "confirm my heart's desire"?
The title comes from a line in Charles Wesley's hymn, O Thou Who Camest from Above. You can read the text and listen to a schmaltzy-sounding version of the tune here. The hymn is not widely known, except in England, but with persistence on my part, and with the persuasion of other musicians, priests, and hymn-nerds, it's gaining, slowly, additional admirers.




22 January 2015

Holy Land Pilgrimage 2015 from Scott Street, the Epiphany in Winchester

This post was written and posted on Thursday, 22 January, but reflects an experience of Scott's which occurred earlier in the week.

In the market from Damascus Gate to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, we went into a booth in search of a gift for Mary’s prayer partner.  We came to a shop with a very solicitous salesman who offered to sell us what we wanted and much more.  At one point, he asked us if we had been to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, and we said that we had.

He replied, “I love the Church.  I go there often. It is a holy place. I go in the daytime when the light is better.  You can see more.  When you go there, don’t just look at the big things, the bright things.  Look away from the crowds, at the details. They are beautiful.

“I am a Muslim.  My friends ask me why I go to the church, because I am Muslim.  Christians, Muslims, Jews, we all worship the same God.  How we choose to worship that same God shouldn’t matter.  People who fight over how we worship are stupid, or they don’t understand that we worship the same God.”

I pondered this for some moments, then found myself saying to him, “I wish that more of us felt that way.”


Here I was in Jerusalem, in a market stall a stone’s throw from where Jesus carried his cross, speaking with a total stranger, a Muslim, a Palestinian, praying out loud the hope that more of us could share this man’s belief in the one God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed!