CONFIRM MY HEART'S DESIRE

Welcome! You'll find here occasional writings, a few rants, and hopefully some insights too, about Christian discipleship, the Episcopal Church, and on faith community's life (at least from my viewpoint) at the Parish of the Epiphany in Winchester, Massachusetts, where I am blessed to serve as the rector. At the Epiphany we understand ourselves to be "a welcoming Episcopal community, united in God, called to seek and serve Christ in all persons, and to transform the world with love and generosity."
Why this title, "confirm my heart's desire"?
The title comes from a line in Charles Wesley's hymn, O Thou Who Camest from Above. You can read the text and listen to a schmaltzy-sounding version of the tune here. The hymn is not widely known, except in England, but with persistence on my part, and with the persuasion of other musicians, priests, and hymn-nerds, it's gaining, slowly, additional admirers.




26 January 2013

My happy home

It's unclear who wrote the hymn, "Jerusalem, my happy home." Some say it's a 16th century adaptation of St. Augustine, others attribute the text to an 18th century English hymnwriter, Joseph Bromehead. For the purposes of this blog post it doesn't matter. The hymn, of course, is a poem about the heavenly Jerusalem, not the earthly one, but I can't get that first stanza out of my head, as I look outside the window of my own home on this beautiful and frigid Boston morning.

Jerusalem, my happy home,
When shall I come to thee?
When shall my sorrows have an end?
Thy joys when shall I see?

It is good to be home. To be home to what is familiar and loving, to a happy dog (who is still alive and shows absolutely no signs of terminal cancer), to a wonderful partner, lover, and friend, to a parish church where I am unceasingly blessed to serve with young and old alike, with colleagues and parishioners who are passionate about the Gospel, our discipleship with Christ, and our desire to proclaim good news to the world. It is indeed good to be home.

But Jerusalem is also home, and ever shall be. Not the heavenly one from the hymn echoing in my heart, but the one on top of those Judean hills. The city that so many call holy. Some scholars call this ailment of mine,  Jerusalem Fever, a yearning for and a seemingly unquenchable interest in Jerusalem.

In the end I don't really have to make sense of this pilgrimage now past. Nobody expects that of me, least of all, I think, God's own self. What I think is necessary, and absolutely my call, is to savor all the sacred moments and places of that Holy Land, and to live now, here in Winchester in 2013, as if every place is as holy and powerful as the Jerusalem of Israel-Palestine. Even more, to pray about the possibility that in some mysterious and awesome way, Jerusalem (the city) is a kind of harbinger, or even an image, of the ultimate Jerusalem, the place where milk and honey flow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed!