CONFIRM MY HEART'S DESIRE

Welcome! You'll find here occasional writings, a few rants, and hopefully some insights too, about Christian discipleship, the Episcopal Church, and on faith community's life (at least from my viewpoint) at the Parish of the Epiphany in Winchester, Massachusetts, where I am blessed to serve as the rector. At the Epiphany we understand ourselves to be "a welcoming Episcopal community, united in God, called to seek and serve Christ in all persons, and to transform the world with love and generosity."
Why this title, "confirm my heart's desire"?
The title comes from a line in Charles Wesley's hymn, O Thou Who Camest from Above. You can read the text and listen to a schmaltzy-sounding version of the tune here. The hymn is not widely known, except in England, but with persistence on my part, and with the persuasion of other musicians, priests, and hymn-nerds, it's gaining, slowly, additional admirers.




07 August 2012

Lessons from the Camino to Santiago

Six years ago today I walked into the Spanish city of Pamplona, which was day two of my 22 day trek to Santiago. There's any number of things to read about the pilgrimage, and far better writers than I have given voice to the beauty and the struggle of making the trek, and now there's even a modern film with Martin Sheen which captures some of the imagery, as well as the intensity of the Way.

Here's what I learned:

1) Walking alone is a great gift. Insights emerge, "fightings within and without" which made me turn closer to God, rather than toward self or others.
2) The "engine" inside of me which can sometimes propel me with anxiety and unsettledness is the same engine that needs to rest, and to move more slowly on the path. Still, the engine has integrity and should never be belittled.
3) Friends are given every day...always.
4) In darkness we need only enough light for the next step, not the whole journey.

TJB